2010/03/04

When in Rome....

My travel to Japan went smoothly. No lost luggage, no smelly co-traveler. There were no happy smiles of flight attendants either, but for that price you cannot have everything. My first cultural shock occurred at the airport in Osaka. I heard that bird flu is spreading around the world but I didn’t know that its center is in Japan. Generally speaking, everybody apart from the travelers almost looked like surgeons! Did we have a deadly virus on board? Now we will go through quarantine? But after a while I realized that no one really bothers about us and a few minutes later I waited for my taxi... in the city I saw more masked people. 'What is going on here?' I remember that in the first part of Harry Potter there were people in the streets that looked different smiling to everyone. Those were wizards. But who I deal with? First of all - masks don't look friendly. I would say even scary. Second of all people wearing them might smile but I can't notice it anyways. These are no friendly wizards for sure. I found the answer in one of VERY rare English magazines available in my neighborhood. Masks are against spreading germs - simple! Running nose or cough is a good reason to follow that medical fashion. It helps to prevent others from catching what you already have. Moreover it helps to moisture your throat and nose! I would like to see westerners do that! No way! Maybe Japanese exaggerate a bit with prevention. But, isn't it the best policy? Anyway, I can't wait to wear it myself! When in Rome do as the Romans do!

No comments:

Post a Comment